FPIC and Indigenous Peoples panel members included (Left to Right) Jerry Asp of the Tahltan Nation (BC), Lawrence Baxter of Marten Falls First Nation, Raymond Ferris, former chief of Constance Lake First Nation
Mining, FPIC and Indigenous Peoples
Five Recommendations from These Indigenous Leaders on Mining, FPIC and Indigenous Peoples:
- Spend time and resources to build lasting relationships
- Listen to and incorporate communities' traditional ecological knowledge- it should be mandatory under Environmental Assessments
- Respect and follow consultation and environmental protocols communities have in place
- Start the agreement-making process for community benefits and economic participation early - well before starting an Environmental Assessment
- Have reasonable timelines for consultation and respond quickly to community information requests.
About Shared Value Solutions:
Businesses and organizations are made up of people. So are communities. Imagine a world where people in industry and government, and people from towns of all sizes, get together to make amazing things happen – things they couldn’t have dreamed up alone. A world where people from corporations get together with people in government or NGOs to explore innovative ways to do business while enhancing the natural and social environment. Join us in Creating Shared Value!
At Shared Value Solutions, we speak your language. And we know that the impossible is possible – with the right people in the circle.
We are an Ontario B Corp and we bring the best engineering, design, environment, architecture and other technical discipline expertise to address your challenges and opportunities:
- Strategic Environmental Assessment guidance, coordination and support
- Collaborative land and resource use planning and management- process design and delivery
- Traditional Ecological Knowledge Studies & Traditional Knowledge Studies
- Traditional Land Use Studies (TLUS)/ Traditional Land Use and Occupancy Mapping
- Certified BEAHR Training for Aboriginal Environmental Monitors
- Design and delivery of programs promoting/supporting positive behaviour change- environmental stewardship, community-based social marketing, health/environmental health promotion, Aboriginal community energy plan initiatives
- Contributing human environment considerations to technical assessments and management plans in sectors such as water resources, remediation, land use, mining, oil & gas, linear corridor development, forestry, renewable energy, nuclear waste, contaminated sites, brownfield redevelopment, watershed planning, drought planning, water use planning, waste management and waste diversion
- Aboriginal and Industry Partnerships working with First Nation, Inuit and Métis communities
- Value Engineering & Value Analysis: we facilitate project teams to optimize a project by understanding functions, objectives, costs and social, cultural and environmental considerations.
Shared Value Solutions ® is a trademark registered by Shared Value Solutions Ltd.
Text Copyright Shared Value Solutions, 2016