Shared Value Solutions Ltd. is excited to bring the opportunity for Open Space Technology Facilitation Training to our community and our clients. Open Space Technology is a simple way to run productive meetings, for five to 2000+ people, and a powerful way to lead any kind of organization, in everyday practice and extraordinary change.
Next Stop You – A company of coaches, trainers and consultants who work with leadership, strategies and change based in Sweden and Germany with multiple municipal, business and non-governmental organization clients across Sweden and international clients including BMW, BBraun, the Cities of Liverpool and Walsall, Daiichi‐Sankyo Company of Japan, Nike and Vodaphone. This is Next Stop You's first Open Space Facilitator Training Workshop to be held in Canada.
Open Space Technology is a group facilitation method that clearly structures and encourages human cooperation, builds new relationships, and unearths new and strategic solutions and action plans. It can be used with groups of ten people, or a thousand. It is especially useful when situations are complex or bogged down in conflict, where there are diverse interests and perspectives, and where there is urgency and an unclear set of solutions or next steps.
A Bit of Shared Value - Food Hub.
Open Space training is best when there’s a real, meaningful topic on the table. Groups in the City of Guelph and Wellington County that provide emergency food services are banding together and considering a different model of food delivery. A new organization, that’s going by the working title The Seed, seeks be more of a food hub than a food bank and could encompass many programs including a community kitchen, education about nutrition and healthy eating, and a community garden. This is a challenging initiative, and perfect for an Open Space training workshop, so the workshop organizers, working with representatives from The Seed and the City of Guelph, chose The Seed Community Food Hub as the workshop focus. And, maybe, in the process, a Guelph-Wellington Food Hub will take a few more steps forward!
This course is for formal and informal community leaders, strategic planners, project managers, business and organization leaders, entrepreneurs and neighbourhood organizations, public engagement specialists, consultants - anyone who wishes to create active involvement and personal responsibility from the people attending their meetings. Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
January 29th and 30th, 2014, lunch included. Two days of workshop training with a third follow-up day in late spring (in person, or accessed through teleconference after the initial training).
Where? Day1: Dublin Street United Church. We are using this space to allow for a large group using Open Space to help plan for the Seed Community Food Hub . Facilitator training participants will be involved in this application for Open Space as part of Day 1.
Where? Day2: City Hall, Guelph
By Whom? Guest trainers from Next Stop You, Sweden.
Sign up: Jeremy.Shute@sharedvaluesolutions.com
Cost: $1250; subsidized price available - contact us
Phone: 226 706-8888 x105
Open Space Facilitation Training - Outline in Brief:
First Convention: January 29th and 30th, 2014
Day 1: 9.00 am – 6.00 pm - Leadership overview and the Experience of an Open Space
- Course introduction and Overview
- Participate in an Open Space meeting – Focus for a real project experience: Action Planning for a Community Food Hub
- Process leading: An adaptive and technical approach
6:30 pm Dinner discussion: Lessons from the day
Day 2: 9.00 am – 6.00 pm - Participant Practice and Feedback
- Observations on Day 1
- How to lead an Open Space – a practical walk-through of the process
- Understanding the principals and the law of Open Space
- The role of the Open Space leader
- Practical preparations and personal preparations
- About Open Space – different applications (examples from Sweden)
- Possibilities and challenges with Open Space; What to do if there is trouble?
- Practical planning and preparations for leading your own Open Space meeting
Second Convention: (Date tbd - approx. late spring)
Day 3: 9.00 am – 6.00 pm
- Reflections and learning
- Success strategies for undertaking an Open Space
- Deepening the understanding for the role of the Open Space-leader
- The phenomenon of “open spaces” and to keeping it open
- Addressing the facilitator’s challenges
- Essence – function – form: What do we actually mean when we talk about self-organisation?
For more information on the training facilitators, please visit
For more information on Open Space Technology and resources, please visit