Paid 8-month position for First Nation, Métis or Inuit Intern:
Shared Value Solutions(SVS) is offering an annual 8-month paid internship for a First Nation, Métis, or Inuit graduate of a university, college, or ECO Canada BEAHR program with an environment or social science focus.
Interns will work from SVS’s office in Guelph, Ontario, Canada for 4 months and then return to their home community to work for the remaining 4 months of the paid placement period.
Our goal is to help support Indigenous people to empower themselves to lead their communities and take part in nation-building in to the future.
The objectives of the Shared Value Internship Program are:
1) to help young Indigenous professionals build their employment experience, skills, and networks in the environment sector,
2) to help Indigenous professionals enhance their leadership potential, and
3) to build capacity within Indigenous nations to address the complex environmental issues that they may face, including the Duty to Consult and Accommodate, land use planning, and the potential impacts of development projects.
How to apply
For 2016, applications will be accepted until May 2, 2016 by email to HR@sharedvaluesolutions.com
- Applications MUST include:
- Resume outlining qualifications for the position (graduation from a university or college program with an environmental or social science focus and any relevant work or volunteer experiences)
- Cover letter explaining why the applicant feels that they are the best candidate
- Signed Memorandum of Understanding (see Appendix A) completed by 1) a host community champion who the intern would report to and 2) a representative of the candidate’s host First Nation, Métis or Inuit community or other Indigenous organization who has signing authority
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews within approximately 1 month of the closing date.
- Pay $17.00 per hour for 35 hours per week for 32 weeks (total $19,040.00).
- Up to $350 in workshop, conference and/or external training attendance to be covered.
- Estimated $2,500 investment in career coaching, in-house training, and leadership training services to be provided to the intern over the 8-month period.
- Internship start date is flexible.
How it works
- The Intern will work from SVS’s Guelph, Ontario, Canada office for the first 4 months and will work within their host community (e.g. for the Lands and Resources department, Economic Development department, Consultation department, or similar) or another Indigenous organization (e.g. Tribal Council) for the next 4 months. The full 8-month salary will be covered by SVS.
- Depending on the interests of the individual and the projects at the time, the work could involve: land use planning; mapping / GIS; oral history interviewing; environmental assessment technical review and impact assessment support; qualitative and quantitative data analysis; Internet research; historic and document reviews; report writing; economic development support; meeting attendance; strategic planning; facilitation; assisting in providing training; proposal, work plan and budget preparation; project coordination; marketing and communications; filmmaking; graphics; or other.
- Interns must communicate on their activities and learning at least once per month to their host community champion throughout the first 4 months and are requested to continue communicating on their activities and learning to SVS throughout the next 4 months.
- Interns will set goals, be mentored and have opportunities to attend workshops, conferences, training and receive career coaching throughout the 8-month period.
- Interns and their host community champions will be supported in seeking funding opportunities and models to continue the position past the 8-month internship period if of interest.
About Shared Value Solutions
SVS is a consulting firm whose core business is in regulatory and Environmental Assessment support and strategy; land use and occupancy and archaeology studies; Traditional Ecological Knowledge Studies & Traditional Knowledge Studies; Aboriginal-private sector business partnerships; and community consultation and engagement. SVS is certified to offer BEAHR training in Environmental Site Assessment, Environmental Monitoring, and Land Use Planning. We assist Indigenous and non-Indigenous nations and private sector companies across Canada in coming together to create shared value for all parties involved. Our mission is to “have fun, make money, do good, and do good work”. For more information:
- Check out the Shared Value Solutions blog page