Do you have a passion for how people and the environment interact? Are you looking for a meaningful work environment where you can take initiative and think outside the box?
Shared Value Solutions (SVS) is seeking a consultant experienced with technical reviews of environmental assessments and regulatory processes, impact assessments, and the identification of appropriate mitigation, compensation and accommodation measures. Some experience with the Duty to Consult, the incorporation of Indigenous knowledge in environmental processes, and the negotiation of Impact Benefit Agreements (or similar agreements) would be an asset. The ideal person will be highly entrepreneurial and align with our relationship-based approach to business development.
SVS’s office is located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. The position will involve some travel in Canada and to northern communities.
Salary and benefits are competitive and negotiable.
- Coordinating and assisting with technical peer reviews of regulatory environmental permitting and approvals reports and applications for pipelines, energy, mining, waste, and other major infrastructure development projects.
- Suggesting appropriate mitigation, compensation, and accommodation measures to address environmental and/or socio-economic-cultural impacts of major development projects.
- Assisting in the interpretation of “traditional ecological knowledge” and land use and occupancy research for environmental processes.
- Liaising effectively with Indigenous community clients, regulators and proponents.
- Providing Duty to Consult and strategic negotiation advice to First Nation, Metis and Inuit community clients.
- Responding quickly and empathetically to client needs.
- Clear and concise report writing and presentations.
- Willingness and interest in assisting on a wide variety of SVS projects and service offerings on an as needed basis – i.e. being a “Jack” or “Jill” of all trades.
- 5+ years professional experience required.
- Experience coordinating and conducting technical reviews of or for Federal and Provincial environmental assessments in Canada.
- Experience assessing impacts of major developments on the environment and/or socio-economic-cultural components of a community.
- Strong understanding of Canadian federal, provincial, and territorial regulatory approvals and permitting processes.
- Strong project management / project coordination skills.
- Experience working successfully with First Nation, Métis, and/or Inuit communities.
- Skills and experience with a relationship-based approach to business development.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills and ability to communicate complex issues in plain language.
- High commitment to client satisfaction.
- Masters or PhD in Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, Land Use Planning or equivalent.
- Background in fisheries or wildlife biology would be a significant asset.
- Other asset qualifications include: land use planning, experience providing training in environmental monitoring or impact assessment, experience with planning and implementing communication and consultation programs and activities, “traditional knowledge”, land use and occupancy, GIS, community economic development, conflict resolution, capacity building / training, multimedia story-telling.
Please send your resume via email to:
Nichole Fraser MacDonald, HR & Managing Partner
We will continue to accept applications until we find the right candidate.
About Us - Shared Value Solutions Ltd.:
Businesses and organizations are made up of people. So are communities. Imagine a world where people in industry and government, and people from towns of all sizes, get together to make amazing things happen – things they couldn’t have dreamed up alone. A world where people from corporations get together with people in government or NGOs to explore innovative ways to do business while enhancing the natural and social environment. Join us in Creating Shared Value!
At Shared Value Solutions, we speak your language. And we know that the impossible is possible – with the right people in the circle.
We are an Ontario B Corp and we bring the best engineering, design, environment, architecture and other technical discipline expertise to address your challenges and opportunities:
- Strategic Environmental Assessment guidance, coordination and support
- Collaborative land and resource use planning and management- process design and delivery
- Traditional Ecological Knowledge Studies & Traditional Knowledge Studies
- Traditional Land Use Studies (TLUS)/ Traditional Land Use and Occupancy Mapping
- Certified BEAHR Training for Aboriginal Environmental Monitors
- Design and delivery of programs promoting/supporting positive behaviour change- environmental stewardship, community-based social marketing, health/environmental health promotion, Aboriginal community energy plan initiatives
- Contributing human environment considerations to technical assessments and management plans in sectors such as water resources, remediation, land use, mining, oil & gas, linear corridor development, forestry, renewable energy, nuclear waste, contaminated sites, brownfield redevelopment, watershed planning, drought planning, water use planning, waste management and waste diversion
- Aboriginal and Industry Partnerships working with First Nation, Inuit and Métis communities
- Value Engineering & Value Analysis: we facilitate project teams to optimize a project by understanding functions, objectives, costs and social, cultural and environmental considerations.