Reading - whether it's curled up under a cozy blanket by the fire, warm beverage in hand, as winter rages outside or, as is the case now, sitting outside with a cold beverage, enjoying the heat of summer, there is always a place for losing yourself in a good book.
And what better time than summer!
Summer is a time to slow down and refresh your mind and body. And what better way than a good summer read while the sun warms your skin and the breeze ruffles the pages. Not to mention sipping on an equally refreshing cold beverage - the writing of this list was accompanied by a deliciously chilly iced coffee!
At SVS, we are continually expanding our minds by reading and expanding our libraries by sharing our book recommendations with each other. As part of our commitment to Reconciliation, we strive to support and highlight the work of Indigenous authors. The below list of books are suggestions from our team members, some that we've read and some that are on our personal reading lists. Check them out!
- Peace and Good Order by Harold Johnson
- Moon of the Crusted Snow by Waubgeshig Rice
- One Native Life by Richard Wagamese
- One Drum by Richard Wagamese
- Unsettling Canada: A National Wake-Up Call by Art Manual
- Call Me Indian: From the Trauma of Residential School to Becoming the NHL’s First Treaty Indigenous Player by Fred Sasakamoose
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley
- Halfbreed by Mario Campell (re-released edition)
- Plants Have So Much to Tell Us: Anishnaabeg Botanical Teachings. By Mary Siisip Geniusz
- From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle
- Indians on Vacation by Thomas King
- Seven Fallen Feathers by Tanya Talaga
- The Inconvenient Indian Tomas King
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- A Mind Spread Out on the Ground by Alicia Elliott
- Clifford: A Memoir, A Fiction, A Fantasy, A Thought Experiment by Harold R. Johnson
- The Unexpected Cop by Ernie Loutitt
- Hope Matters by Lee Maracle, Columpa Bobb, and Tania Carter
- Mamaskatch: A Cree Coming of Age by Darrell McLeod
- Legacy: Trauma, Story, and Indigenous Healing by Suzanne Methot
- Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese
- Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq
- Disintegrate/Dissociate by Arielle Twist
- Moccasin Square Gardens by Richard Van Camp
- River woman by Katherena Vermette
- Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson
- Five Little Indians by Michelle Good
- In Search of April Raintree by Beatrice Mosionier
- Empire of Wild by Cherie Dimaline
- Keeper’n Me by Richard Wagamese
- One Story, One Song by Richard Wagamese
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
- There There” by Tommy Orange
If you prefer podcasts, here is what we are listening to:
- Warrior Life Podcast by Pam Palmater
- Storykeepers Podcast with Waub Rice and Jennifer David
- Nation to Nation Podcast by ATPN News
- Seven Truths Podcast by Tanya Talaga
- Secret Life of Canada Podcast
- Unreserved Podcast
- Missing & Murdered - CBC Media Centre
- Telling Our Twisted Histories - CBC Listen
- All My Relations
Whether you visit your local library, borrow from friends, browse your local independent bookstore, or hit "Add to cart" at an online retailer, there is no shortage of joy and relaxation from reading. Check out one of the many titles above for a summer read, or a cozy winter read if you prefer, and you won't be disappointed.
Are you reading something that isn't on our list? Leave a comment below and let us know! We are always looking for the next great book to add to our list!
About Us: Shared Value Solutions
We are an Canadian B Corp, and we assist Indigenous communities with support throughout regulatory processes surrounding major development projects like mines, hydroelectric facilities, transmission lines, highway expansions, oil and gas pipelines, natural resource transport applications and nuclear power.
We have deep context and experience behind the recommendations we provide, having worked for our clients on almost every major project in Canada over the last 10 years. For us, it’s all about building long-term relationships with our clients. We want to get to know you and what you want to do so we can help you move your plans forward.
- Impact Benefit Agreement Negotiation Support
- Technical Reviews and Regulatory Process Support
- Community and Economic Development Planning
- Indigenous Knowledge and Land Use Studies
- Environmental Monitoring
- Guardians Program Development
- Climate Change Readiness
- GIS and Mapping
- And so much more: www.sharedvaluesolutions.com